Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hi my name is Liann and I am addicted to shoes

I have bought six pairs of shoes while in India. Six pairs! Two pairs while in Coimbatore that are safely stored at Matthew and Jeeva's home, one pair while in Delhi, and three pairs while here in Amritsar. All while I'm trying to live a life of simplicity--one backpack and few belongings. I find that I am obsessed.

But please let me explain. There just comes a time when you spy that pair of shoes and think to yourself "I wonder if those would look that fantastic on my feet as they do nailed to that wall," you point and say your size, the man brings them to you and helps you slip your feet in into the pair, you take a few ginger steps around the store and then to the mirror (if they have one). Then the moment of realization hits you, the realization that you cannot leave the store without that pair of shoes. Nevermind that you have at least 20 to 25 pairs of shoes sitting in a box in your parents' attic while you traspe about India in your beloved Chacos, these shoes have just crossed that line from a want to a need.

You bargain as much as you can trying to hide the fact that you will pay whatever you have to in order to walk out that door with your new found lovers. Yes lovers. You pay the pittance you must to release them bondage and take home them home to start a love affair that will last as long as the style doesn't shift. Amazing. I sometimes amaze (and disgust) even myself. The funny thing is I can't wear half the shoes I bought because they are either too sexy, too clean and white, or too impractical for walking around in this country. So I'll have to wait another 3 months (at least) just dreaming up the outfits to go along with these cute little shoes.

4 comments:

gar said...

oh liann friend,i love you =)

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

I would like pictures of these shoes. :)

Krystine M. said...

funny story :)

Shankar said...

Maybe we Indians should start promoting shoe tourism in American colleges.