Monday, September 8, 2008

I actually don't like new things

I've heard many college students say that they like to travel because they like to experience new things, they like getting outside their comfort zone, or they like the adventure of it all. I used to use these kinds of phrases as well when I was trying to explain why I like to travel, but I never felt satisfied with those answers. They sounded right, but I never felt right. And they aren't.

In returning to Coimbatore and Chavadi for the third time now I realize I actually love when new places become familiar. As I shared the village gossip about our neighbors with the new field studies students, showed them the shortcut to the second bus stop, and introduced them to my favorite saleswoman at my favorite store (Pushpam at Sree Ganapathi) I felt a certain joy.

It's hard for me to navigate in a new city. I get lonely when I don't know anyone in a place. I feel out of my comfort zone when I have a hard time communicating with locals. Matthew was kind enough to remind me yesterday how miserable he was when I came to India the first time.

The fun thing for me is to wander around one city long enough to know the place. I love having friends to visit or being a regular at a shop. I get such satisfaction from speaking in my Indian English, head bobble and all. So, it's not that I like new places. I like making new places familiar.

2 comments:

Shankar said...

I had to think about this for a moment, but I see your point. I like travelling, but the most fun I've had is a) when the new place is similar to somewhere I've been before, and b) I have friends either with me, or awaiting me. The latter can be a bit more challenging, but when it succeeds (eg, Copenhagen and Frankfurt), the payoff is spectacular.

Oh, and you've got the Indian head-bobble down pat. It was so funny to see.

Sheri Money said...

Lianne - I totally agree! I agree with what you said in the beginning about how you used to say that you liked to travel because you like getting out of your comfort level and seeing new things but how that's not really it and also how the thing that's really enjoyable is when new places become familiar. I always have a hard time putting my finger on it too and while I'm sure there's more to it than just that, I think you hit on at least one aspect of it. I feel that way about Iasi, Romania and Provo and to a lesser extent, Bucharest, Romania, Budapest, Hungary and Paris, France. Those are all places that were once very new and scary, but that I now know well enough to at least navigate and find familiar places in, if not much more. P.s. I like you.