Monday, March 1, 2010

A Quiet Moment in DC

For those of you trying to keep up with my recent adventures I've finished my delightful stay in New York and am now residing near the D.C. area. I arrived two weeks ago (to the day) and this story actually took place at the end of my first week here.

I came into the city to meet up with Chrissy, my yoga teacher from New York, to take a yoga class together. I needed to see a familiar face and reconnect with my lovely month of yoga. I'd met plenty of friendly faces that week, but all of them unfamiliar. And while I love to meet new people, even I have my limits.

I came into the city early to get my first look around the place I decided to make my new home. I meandered into a delightful Whole Foods Store, purchased a few things, and snacked on them while sitting and writing in their cafe. Since I had no other intentions than getting to know the area I decided to wander over to the White House.

As I approached the building's "backyard" I saw a few tourists taking pictures, some haggard looking employees trickling out the side exit, and police eying me and my long yoga bag suspiciously. I made my way to the front of the building. As I walked I thought of all that must be going on in there. With Obama trying to live up to his big campaign of change and working to recover from this failed health bill, people must be working all hours. My mind soon hopped back into the seemingly never ending contemplation of my job hunt. As I fretted, strategized, and pep talked to myself I found my legs had brought me to that famous view of the White House.

My mind paused. I just stood there interrupted by only a few tourists who braved the cold and snow to see this famous residence too. I let my mind settle on the majesty related to this nation. While I do tend to be a bit...hesitant in my feelings of patriotism, I have my moments. And this was one of them. As I stood watching the evening fall I felt simple awe. Knowing that no matter what the most recent scandal in government is I will probably continue to feel this lingering sense of pride for what this nation continues to be. It is so much bigger than any one person. And for that brief moment I caught a small glimpse of that.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That's deep my love! I love those little moments.

Michael Powers said...

Liann, I live just outside DC. We need to chill.