Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Aunt Liann

I've never been comfortable with titles. I became an aunt when I was 12 years old so my oldest nieces just called me Liann. But most of my younger nieces and nephews know me by my full title. Whenever they try to get my attention by yelling out, "Aunt Liann! Aunt Liann!" I always want to respond, "Yes Niece Eve (or Nephew Henry)"



Well I decided to take up my sister's invitation and I drove up to New York for my nieces and nephew's spring break. Having received the "Honorary Lindberg" status by Ethan (represented by a circle of yellow construction paper with the word Lindberg penned on it) before I left for DC, I decided it appropriate to walk in the back door without knocking.



Jana, my sister, was making dinner and hugged me hello. Jane, the toddler who would have nothing to do with me the first week I was living there, walked up then allowed me to pick her up and hug her. And the other kids came in with the usual "Aunt Liann! Aunt Liann!" hustle and bustle. It was great to be home--at least "home" is how it felt.



The week was delightful. The older kids and I went to see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D (we sneaked in some candy and ate so much of it I think we all left with a desire to eat veggies the rest of our lives). All of us braved the crowds at the MoMA--each kid bought a postcard at the gift shop and we had a great time finding the originals in the museum. I also read a book recommended to me by Ethan and got the chance to talk about it with him and Kate. Of course we read plenty of picture books and I even lost a round of Settlers of Catan (I'm SO ashamed!).



By the end of the week I realized that I'm starting to get used to this Aunt Liann business.

3 comments:

Laura said...

OH, Liann.

Upon seeing you I realized that I miss you terribly. Keep up all this hard work and it will pay off! I will pray for you to get a job. I know what that feels like, to wait around after doing all you can and not get the reception you were hoping for.I know it will work out for you and it seems in the meantime you're having quite the adventure tasting new things!

I signed up for cake classes! Thanks for inspiring me!

Liann said...

Oh thanks Laura! I'm so glad you've decided to do the cake classes you'll have a great time! And you have a knack for those types of things, so I'm sure you'll be turning out beautiful cakes in no time.

Renae said...

That sounds like such a fun week! I miss your big family and all the fun things you do.