Monday, June 30, 2008

Something Inspiring

Sydney and I met Katie at church in Coimbatore. White people always stick out in an Indian congregation. We asked her what she was doing here in India. She explained that she was working with an orphanage. What peaked my curiosity was when we asked her what was next for her in life and she responded that she hoped to do this "orphanage thing" for the rest of her life.

Sydney and I took two buses and eventually a rickshaw to "Families for Children" and walked into the office one afternoon. Katie took us around the three different complexes and explained each project There were Infants with physical deformities and other waiting for adoption. There were toddlers, young and old girls, young and old boys, a silk making project, goats, special needs children, elderly care, a doctors office, a physical therapy area, a large kitchen to feed the kids, a smaller kitchen for the girls to learn to cook, housing for volunteers, a paper making project, and sewing projects and bag making for polio victims and poor women from the surrounding area.

It was overwhelming and beautiful the way this simple place managed to do so much good. The director of the orphanage has throat cancer and hasn't been able to visit in the last 7 years, but still keeps up reguarly with the staff and knows what is going on. I wouldn't be surprised if she knows the names of all 400 kids living there.

What was most impressive was talking with Katie, a 29 year old single Mormon who felt the need to come to India. She was drawn to this project through a series of events and here she is feeling the contentment that comes when you know you're doing the right thing for yourself.

Sydney and I caught a bus back into town and ate dinner. Sydney said, "Man Liann you must have been hungry." I looked down and realized two things 1-I was just about to slop up the last of the masala with my last piece of naan and 2-I hadn't said much of anything to Sydney since we ordered.

I looked up and said, "Yeah I must have been...Sorry I haven't been talking." Then I trailed off trying to explain.

She said, "It's OK. we just saw something that was very beautiful and inspiring."

"Yeah." We finished up our meal trying to find words to describe what we just experienced, but it was just hard to capture what we both felt other than saying we were inspired. I was inspired, but not necessarily to open up my own orphanage. No, I just want to find some good I can do in some small corner, something I know God feels pleased that I am doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liann,

I hadn't read your blog for weeks. It was so fun to catch up on what you are doing and thinking. Your writing is so honest and wonderfully descriptive. Some "thinking time" sounds quite foreign yet appealing to me. However, I worry that once I had some serious time on my hands to think I would realize how awfully mundane my thoughts have become. Brooks calls me daily to check in. I always try to think of something noteworthy to report. "Well honey, the toilet backed up," or, "I managed to fit two children and $350 worth of groceries in my Costco cart today. You should have seen my creative cart-packing skills." You get the idea.

OK, this comment is getting a bit lengthy. Keep on writing. You've got a fan in NY.

Jana