Monday, December 22, 2008

Rethinking Motherhood

Now I’ve always thought I’d make a decent mother someday and that I would enjoy nothing less than fulfilling that “greater calling” in life. I’ve done quite a bit of babysitting. I generally enjoy spending time with kids. But I have seriously reconsidered motherhood after spending 5 days and nights babysitting my sister’s five children—and mind you my mom and I were both there. Which makes me even more terrified! There were two women in the house, which allowed for the luxury of a daily nap.

There were a couple of things that really got me about all of this. One, I felt like the worst version of myself came out. After my experience in India I learned not to consider myself “patient,” but this week I found myself wanting to lose it a more times than I care to admit. It’s not a pretty thing to see in yourself. And two, motherhood is so very selfless. I haven’t thought of myself as selfish, but this week I found nothing was about me. As the week progressed I took less and less care of my looks. Not only that, every night I wanted some sort of judge to listen to my grievances and deliver some sort of justice.

I can hear it now. I approach the judge in my pantsuit outfit carrying a folder detailing my case and say:

Your honor there are a few grievances I would like to put forth before you today and see that you remedy these situations. First, my one year old niece Jane was awake between the hours of midnight and 2:13am coughing. I kept running downstairs to get her some water until I was able to locate the infant’s cold medicine and administer it to her. I’d like to get my 2 hours of sleep back.

Second is the case of the 3 year old, Eve; my complaint is that she hit me multiple times and said “I hate you,” and “You’re not my friend!” repeatedly. I would like you to make her say “I’m sorry” and if possible keep her from saying “no” to my every request, suggestion, and mode of comfort.

The 6 year old nephew, Henry, has wet his bed for the second time since our stay. I would feel justified if he would wash the following items: 1 set of sheets, 2 pairs of PJ pants, and 1 pairs of underwear. I’d also appreciate it if there was some retribution since he lied to us regarding the wearing of pull-ups one night.

Your honor, Kate, the 8 year old, keeps forcing me to “play puppies” with her by getting angry when I refuse. Can you simply explain to her kindly that pretending to be kidnapped and then found by a stuffed animal puppy is only so fun for so long to a 25 year old?

And finally I would like for your honor to get my 10 year old nephew, Ethan, to put his Sunday shoes on the first time I ask him, instead of provoking his younger siblings to the point of tears.

In their defense those kids were fun to be with. They are so creative. Ethan made popcorn for our Friday night movie and handed it out like a regular salesman. During the film Eve climbed up and reclined on my lap while Henry and Kate tried their best to cuddle with my two arms. Ethan, Kate, Mom and I also played 2 rousing games of Settlers of Catan to my delight. I also enjoyed going to Kate’s 3rd grade class and giving a short presentation on India. And finally, Jane always had smiles for me each morning even though I wasn’t her mom.

There are sweet moments in motherhood I am sure, but I take my hat off to you women who do this day in and day out. To let it all go and love those kids despite it all is tough. You are amazing and deserve more than just one day to celebrate all the work you do.

2 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I was left to babysit my two teenage sisters, my 10 year old sister and a toddler when my parents went overseas several years ago. My first comment when they returned was something like, "I don't ever want children." Between the cooking, cleaning, reminding one child that if she couldn't remember the last time she'd taken a bath - it was time, and literally brushing the teeth of the toddler, I'd had enough. And that was just 10 days!!!

My mom reassured me that motherhood is difficult at times but worth it. In fact, when she went to the hospital to deliver child #4 (of 6), she took a current family photo to serve as a reminder that any pain during child birth would turn into countless joy.

Your blog made me smile. I'll be 30 next month and I still don't think I'm ready for children!

Babysitting is just a cheap version of birth control sometimes. :o)

(Sorry for such a long response from a stranger.)

Sheri Money said...

Liann! This made me laugh too. In case you aren't aware, I'm currently nanny for twin almost-3 year olds, sooooo I get ya. I can't tell you how many times I've felt the EXACT same way. My worst self comes out too (like today when I lost my temper because AJ couldn't get his socks on by himself. Really? Because the poor kid wasn't talented enough to get socks on?) and I get really sick of swallowing my feelings and pain and boredom all for the kids.

I'll tell you one thing though, comparing how much harder it was at the beginning with how it is now makes me realize that it really is easier with your own kids who A.) come one at a time B.) you're able to get to know REALLY well and C.) you get to mold from day 1. When the time comes you'll get over it and be glad you did it :) .