Monday, May 10, 2010

Confessions of an Addict

OK, so I’ve never really been addicted to a television show before. Well, I take that back—there was X-Files while I was in high school, and that phase before I moved out of Provo when I watched a large portion of Sadie’s DVD collection of Star Gate.

But I have to say I am addicted to this season of 24. It all started when I was living in Jana’s house and each Monday Brooks, Jana, and I would sit down and watch the show. I moved down to DC and missed a few episodes until I realized that the Premonts were avid fans.


Brother and Sister Premont are in charge of the young single adults in our stake and each Monday they have the us all over for Family Home Evening. The lesson, activity, and treats are usually done by 8:00 or 8:30 and I am the only one who sticks around to watch 24 with the family at 9:00. Carolane (their daughter) set the rule, “NO TALKING during 24.” This is the one and only rule, and I think she and I are the biggest culprits when it comes to breaking it. But I think the rule actually reads “No talking about anything except this episode of 24.” During the show we’ll exclaim things like, “I can’t believe he just did that!” or “No! No! No! This is all wrong.” We’ll discuss our hunches in great detail or recap intense moments over the commercial breaks. The whole thing is just delightful. (I feel I’ve been using that adjective a lot, but that’s really how it is).


I didn’t realize how deep this addiction ran until last Monday when I missed our weekly tradition (see previous post for details). And right around 8:45, 9:00 I was checking my watch thinking “Oh we didn’t set the DVR to record 24!” Too shy to admit my addiction I let it go and watched the episode on Hulu later in the week, but it just wasn’t the same watching it alone on my computer. When I ran into the Premonts at church we had our “Can you believe what Jack is doing these days??” talk. And they expressed a similar sentiment that it just wasn’t as fun without the entire peanut gallery.

So, there it is. My name is Liann and I’m addicted to 24. There are four episodes left, so I don’t plan to quit anytime in the next month. I’m not sure what the Premonts and I will do when the season is over—stop hanging out after FHE I guess. Sad. But hey I’ve still got four more intense hours of Jack and the rest of the crew.

2 comments:

jacob said...

I'm also an addict, but I have to say that I haven't liked this season of 24 as much as a few of the previous seasons.

Liann said...

Well, I haven't seen the other seasons all the way through like this one!(I've seen an episode here and there) So maybe I have something to look forward to after this season is over!