Thursday, October 9, 2008

A few of my favorite things


The way Jeeva looks at me, like a daughter and friend.
The way I feel after filling the cistern with water.
Putting my legs up after a long ride home standing on the bus.
The way Solomani and I are now good friends even though we can't communicate verbally.
The way I've come to really enjoy dressing up Indian style! (chuidar, earrings, bindi, bangles, jasmine in my hair, jingling anklets and all)
That Appa knows my name.
Being able to confront my anger and frustrations when things don't go my way.
Drinking hot, thick milk with sugar in the mornings.
Idli. so yum.
Fighting my way up the bus to get a seat.
Standing up for myself while fighting out the water politics--yes it's our turn to fill our cistern, no I don't speak Tamil, and no you will not fill just 4 buckets.
The juiceman at Ghandipuram and how he asks about us when we haven’t come around in awhile.
Sitting around just chatting to pass the time.
Long talks on the long walk to the and from the main road.
The way our internet guy smiles at us when we come in saying "browsing"--yes we're regulars and yes this is the best internet in town.
Hour long conversations on the veranda.
Shopping in Coimbatore. Taking the time to do a little bargaining.
Eating out at a really fancy restaurant for under 5 bucks.
Getting a good night’s sleep on a thin mat and cement floor.
Feeling like this is home.

I’m starting to wonder if I’ll be ready to go home when the time comes. I only have a month and a half left—3 weeks of which will be spent on the road! I know I’m looking forward to getting home to my family, my friends, and my overly large shoe collection, but I will sure miss this place. I’m sure I could think of plenty more to add to the list, but I’ll refrain.

5 comments:

Larry 'n' Juls said...

I never heard you had a blog!!!! You don't even tell your big sis!

Emily said...

Wow! I cannot think of anyone else who could feel like calling India home. You are amazing Liann! We are glad you are coming home soon. It will be great to see you.

Shankar said...

That's quite a list. Completely agree with the idlis. Marvel that you can get a good night's sleep on the thin mat, something I've seldom been able to do.
I wonder if you could set this list to the tune of "These Are a Few of My Favourite Things"?

Jill Campbell said...

Now you're making me homesick for Jeeva and the veranda. We're excited to see you when you get around to coming back to Provo. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice to know you love India so much. How did you happen to decide on that experience?