Friday, February 20, 2009

Liann is really LinkedIn

My friend Natalie recently invited me to join her network in LinkedIn.com. I decided that as a woman soon to enter the job market, websites like this may be helpful in finding that perfect job for me. As I joined I downloaded the contacts from my Gmail account and carefully selected 60 or so contacts to link to (some old friends, a few BYU professors, a couple co-workers, even an ex-fiancĂ©). I saved a few contacts so that I could add a personal note when inviting them to link up. Thinking I was clicking the “continue on to making my profile” button, I accidentally sent an invite to all of my Gmail contacts. That would be everyone I have ever emailed or who has emailed me. The total comes to 514 people—including a sociology professor at Harvard I emailed once, a few ex-boyfriends I don’t talk to anymore, people I only know as “byubabe,” and about 50 city clerks in Iowa I contacted for a research project once upon a time.

I'll admit I was laughing as I was sort of yelling "no, no!" to my computer while rapidly clicking again and again the STOP button at the top of the web browser. I did stay some of the damage and only invited 390 of my closest associates to join my network.

Well, if anything at least I'm very well LinkedIn.

6 comments:

Shankar said...

And I was feeling so exclusive till I read that post.

Renae said...

Haha..that's funny!

jacob said...

Thats funny, I don't recall getting a LinkedIn invite from you.

Liann said...

Well, Shankar if it helps--you were among the first batch of invites sent out! And Jacob--when are you going to email me fool!?!

Tallialli said...

was that me who initiated such havoc? if so, he...he...he...

Liann said...

Yes, Natalie it was you!